Thursday, November 15, 2018

Unity Free Tutorials

This week as we were given the choice of picking, creating and reviewing our own selection of Unity tutorials I chose a tutorial on how to create Bloom and Sun shafts by Jimmy Vegas and another tutorial on Fog Variants which is also by Jimmy Vegas. I chose these tutorials as they included content that I want to add into my own game that I'm creating. 

The first tutorial taught me how to add aspects of bloom and sun shafts into my game. First I created a bloom script and applied it where the camera was looking. I created it in basic mode and in the highest quality available. The tutorial also showed the effect that the intensity and threshold had on these elements and how they enhance how it looks on screen. Then I began to play around with the intensity and threshold to better suit my game until I was satisfied with the look. A lower threshold creates a brighter screen. This tutorial is recommended for fantasy based worlds however I wanted to add some of these elements into my own adventure based game. 
Next in the tutorial I learned how to create sun shafts. Here I began by dragging and dropping the sun shaft element on to the first person character and having it in a high resolution as it's recommended. I then played around and experimented with the threshold colour which would effect the overall sunlight colour. The tutorial touched on the blur iterations and discussed how this would effect the game itself and how intensity here isn't too important. I then learned how to create a script that allows you to save the game. I also learned how to edit and use the trigger function by creating a cube to trigger the script. 

The next tutorial I watched taught me about fog variants. The tutorial began by using the particle system. Here I adjusted the start speed, colour and created a lower alpha. I then learned how to change the emission to a higher one, how to alter the sphere shape, change the radius and create the start size to be bigger. This is used to create pockets of fog. There's an option of randomizing the fog particle direction which sends the fog going off in different directions and creates the creepy effect that I aim to achieve in my game. The tutorial also mentioned how a higher alpha would create a thicker fog so I played around with this until I was happy with how it looked. I then learned how to change and alter the direction up to 50 which caused the start lifetime to linger more and changed to a lower alpha. Next the tutorial taught another way of creating fog and this was through the lighting asset and fog settings within it. The mist blocked out everything in the distance which created a dramatic effect with a thick layer of fog. I then messed around with the density and changed to linear mode which showed the start and end point of the fog. Global fog was briefly introduced also. Finally I learned how to alter the height, width and colour of the fog to suit my game. It's recommended that you use a combination of all three fog effects to create a perfect image. 

I enjoyed picking my own tutorials as it allowed me to learn how to create more elements that I want to include in my game. I found these tutorials by Jimmy Vegas to be very helpful in doing so. 


Fog effect 

No comments:

Post a Comment