Sunday, November 18, 2018

Prototype

This week I attempted to create my game as laid out in my game design document. I began by creating some hills and coating them in a rough grass texture that I carefully chose to represent the creepy feel of my game. I then began to create a small forest of pine trees to surround the left side of the island that my game will take place on. From there I added in a wind element to make the grass and trees move gently to create a more realistic effect. I then downloaded my selected skybox from the assets store, I chose a darker toned sky that contained colours of red. black and purple. From here I edited the colour of the skybox until I was satisfied with the outcome. I also added in thick grass patches to random parts of the island, this is where the gems containing the clues and riddles will be hidden. I also created a single row of 3 houses, a path through the town and a small lake however Unity crashed multiple times after that and erased certain elements of my game despite me saving as I went. I found this to be very frustrating as I spent a lot of time creating the houses to look how I envisioned in my game design document.

Overall I find Unity slightly difficult as it's very tedious and the software tends to crash whether it be on my PC or on a MAC in the college labs. I met a few of my targets with the scenery apart from the houses and the lake that were erased. From here on I hope to improve my Unity skills and have the software cooperate with me as I create my desired game.


Screenshot of my game on Unity

2 comments: