Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Unity tutorial 01

Although I've previously used Unity in a PLC I was rusty on my knowledge of the software and how to use it. Watching the tutorials and practicing while pausing them really helped jog my memory and taught me easier ways to use Unity.
The first tutorial went through the very basics of Unity so that first level beginners could follow along and learn the basics. We learned what the purpose of the game tab is, what the inspector panel contains and what type of assets the project window stores such as game objects, textures and scripts.
I also learned how to add in any extra tabs that I may need such as the animation tab. This tutorial also went through the basic methods of inserting 3D objects like a cube and how to develop them into bigger aspects. At the end of the tutorial we learned how to create a basic layer of terrain.

I found this tutorial to be very useful with easy to follow instructions suitable for gamers and non-gamers of all levels. I learned how to properly create a basic game structure from scratch and develop this structure in the second tutorial.

Tutorial 2 explored the aspects of terrain, creating textures and applying them to the terrain. I learned how to use the point height tool to create a specific height for where the terrain sits and how to add color, change opacity/brush sizes and how to blend the textures for a smoother realistic effect.
I enjoyed experimenting with the different textures and blending them however I had a bit of difficulty when I first tried to create the terrain. I overcame this by continuing to try again until I got it right. I look forward to getting used to creating a game from scratch and developing my skills while I learn new aspects of game development.

Game design
Image here

No comments:

Post a Comment