Sunday, October 7, 2018

Game brainstorm

Game idea 1 - My first game idea is to create an adventure game. An adventure game is a type of video game that involves problem-solving, exploration and puzzle aspects. It's a single player interactive story in which the player takes the role of the protagonist. It usually follows a story line and includes a narrative voice over.
I'm interested in creating this type of game as I've previously played many games in this genre as a kid. I think these games are very fun and addictive to play. They usually aim towards a target audience of 7 - 14 year olds due to the level of problem solving and puzzle aspects the player would need to have basic problem solving abilities and a basic understanding of game controls.
I'd tackle this by firstly researching some adventure games for inspiration. From there I'd plan out my visual ideas, characters and game play.
My idea for an adventure game would be to have the main character go on a quest possibly to save another character that's gone missing but to do so he has to solve riddles, puzzles and tasks.
  Link to article here.

Game idea 2 - For my second game idea I thought I could do an action game. I've previous experience in playing action games and would be interested in creating one myself. An action game involves a lot of running, jumping and shooting/punching etc depending on the game play. Most action games have an option of one player/2 players and usually provide the player with a series of weapons such as guns, knives and arrows. They focus on the players ability to attack, reflexes and hand-eye coordination. The player must also possess good reaction time in order to achieve the game objectives.
I'd be interested in creating an action game as I think they're one of the most popular types of games and have a larger target audience.
My action based idea would involve a war scene where the player has to get through while battling an enemy force. Power ups and extra lives would also be included to help the player live.
 Link to article here.

Game idea 3 - My third game idea is to create a survival game. A survival game is a sub-genre of an action game. The aim of the game is for the player to stay alive throughout the night or mission with a limited amount of resources/strategies. The player is usually the protagonist and has to survive against the antagonist(s) in order to complete the game level.
I'm not a fan of survival games myself however I admire the idea of the game as I think it's a very interactive type of game that puts the player to the test as they try to complete the game.
My survival game idea would be a zombie based game. The main character would be a human trying to survive the night against the zombies by using tactics and weapons of choice. If they survive the night they get a level up.
Link to article here.

Game idea 4 - My fourth and final game idea is to create a first person shooter game. I've done a lot on research on this genre and from that research I discovered that this is a very popular genre with a lot of aspects to it. A first person shooter game is exactly as it states, it's played from the point of view of the player as they shoot the antagonists/enemies or objects. These games are also a sub-genre of action games as the player is involved in a lot of attacking, running and jumping. The control movements allow the player to move left, right, backwards and forwards as they move around the enemies.
I'm interested in this game genre as I've played a first person shooter before and found it to be really engaging and interactive. It's a genre that grabs the players attention from the very beginning to the end. It can also be addictive as the genre contains a lot of objectives and missions for the player to complete to achieve new weapons/power-ups.
My first person shooter game idea would be to have the player as a sniper character in an apocalyptic scene, the antagonists would be a zombie invasion. The objective of the game would be to survive all the zombies and finally reach a safe zone where the game ends.
Link to article here. 
I'd like to learn how to create a successful game of my own based on one of these genres. At the moment I'm leading more towards my first game idea.

Adventure game.
Image here.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Robyn, Really enjoyed reading your post and liked all of your ideas they all sound really well thought out and enjoyable. Your first idea reminds me a lot of a game I played on Ds years ago called Professor Layton and the curious village. I definitely agree that these games are very addictive and I can remember myself spending hours playing that game trying to solve the puzzles. I also really liked your first person shooter idea it's really well thought through and it sound like from you playing them types of games previously you'll be able to know whats enjoyable and whats not when making your own version. Can't wait to see what you decide to create!

    ReplyDelete