Sunday, October 14, 2018

Game Idea Research

The game idea I chose to research is my first game idea which is a problem solving adventure game. The game play for this game would be to have the first person character go on a journey to solve the disappearance of another character. On his journey the character has to solve riddles and puzzles to progress through the game. The character also has the ability to roam freely around the game and find clues to solve the riddles.

Game mechanic 1 - Undirected exploration is one of the game mechanics in this game. The first person character has the opportunity to walk around and explore the town setting, interact with the local characters in the town and discover more clues in order to solve the riddles and progress through the game to solve the final mystery.
Link to article here. 

Game mechanic 2 - Riddle repeats until the character can solve it/difficulty increase. As the character tries to solve each riddle the level of difficulty goes up. If the character is unable to solve the riddle the first time they can continue to try until they succeed. Once the riddle is solved the difficulty level of the next riddle will increase slightly and continue with each of the following riddles as the character goes up a level.
Link to article here. 

Game mechanic 3 - Time. Some of the bonus riddles may have a limited amount of time on them. If a bonus riddle is solved the character gains another instant clue. If the character doesn't solve the riddle in time then the opportunity of the bonus riddle is no longer available for that level. Another bonus riddle will appear on each level despite this.
Link to article here.

I think these game mechanics are suitable for my game as my goal is to create a sense of mystery within the game. This will be portrayed through the riddles and puzzles. These game mechanics also give a good idea of what I hope my game will be like to play.

Detective game.
Image here. 

3 comments:

  1. This is such a good game idea! It reminds me of Cluedo! I think it would be really fun to play. I like how the player would have to interact with different characters to find clues. You have your game idea well thought out by the sounds of things! Im excited to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn, I like your game idea and I think it would be really fun to play. I don't think I ever by this type of games before and if I did in the past then I don't remember but I would like to play them type of games now if I have the time. I wish you luck with your game and hope it will turn out the way you wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your game idea its super cool you'll make it interesting to play. I think its great how the riddles will increase in difficulty after each level. I think its great that the character will have an opportunity to walk around and explore the town. it will be so fun to play the game and get to interact with the other people around the town to find out clues that will help throughout the game. I wonder how hard the riddles will get are they going to become really super difficult but still be fun. Will the main character have a backstory to him like why is he searching throughout the town and trying to solve these really cool riddles. What if some of the riddles where quite simple and they had some trick answers. What would happen if you solved all the riddles really fast would there be a prize given out maybe that would be really cool.

    ReplyDelete