Sunday, December 2, 2018

Alpha

For the duration of this week I've been trying hard to further develop my game with Unity and fix some problems that I had in the previous week. Firstly after a lot of trial and error I finally fixed the red scene. Last week my entire game magically turned itself red as I was applying a grass texture and I didn't know how to fix it so this week I focused on that and eventually solved it! My scene appears normal once more. 

I further developed my game this week by creating a variety of old style houses. As my game takes place in a town on an island I had to create a lot of these houses to compose a town type of setting. This took awhile as I've to make an entire town and add windows and doors to the houses. I also created a fog setting which I'm very happy about as I think it turned out very well and adds the creepy effect that I wanted my game to have. It took a while to perfect the fog and get it to the consistency that I wanted but I got there eventually and I'm happy with the outcome. I created more landscape too by adding shrubbery, bushes, creating a different variety of trees and another mountain range. My first person controller is now able to walk freely through the wisps of fog and collect gems. 

My plan now is to continue creating and finishing off my town with more houses and to try add in another sub-character or two. I'd also like to try and find how to create or add in streetlamps so I'll do my research on that this week and hopefully find an answer on how to do it. Below are screenshots of my progress, notice the red scene is fixed! 



My game

7 comments:

  1. Hi Robyn! Thanks for your comments on my blog - I really like reading them. I wish creating game would be as easy as writing it down on DunDoc...
    I'm glad you managed to fix the error with the red scene, never heard of anything like that to be honest, so I'm very curious what happened there... Do you have any idea of what caused it? How did you fix it?
    The scene looks good so far, but a little bit flat. Maybe you should create some bumps and height variety with low opacity brush? Just so the terrain isn't so flat.
    I also like the houses. They look quite interesting, but they feel... small? Or is that just the angle of the camera when you are pointing at them?
    Can't wait to see the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robyn!
    Sorry to hear about the "red scene" issue that sounds terribly annoying really hope it wasnt too much hassle. ive never heard of this issue and havent personally experienced it but i can imagine the pain!.
    the houses you have designed for your island look awesome!
    very easy to see you have put a lot of effort in!
    the overall style is super cool and cant wait to see your finished project looking forward to playing it!
    hey best of luck with adding those street lamps! im sure you will get them looking wonderful soon !
    anyway i must go hope all is well
    eoin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robyn.
    Your game is looking great! I'm glad you've managed to fix the red scene. I can only imagine how annoying and frustrating something like that could be after you put so much work into the game. Did you manage to figure out what was the cause of the scene to go red? Anyways, that's in the past! From looking at the picture, you definitely got the mysterious vibe down. The houses look great and I can tell that you've put in some time making them. Well done. If I was you I'd put in more trees to really nail down the creepy vibe down and to make the terrain less flat.
    So far your game is look awesome! I hope you won't have too much trouble in figure out those street lights. I'm looking forward to see the end result!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robyn
    The problem that you had with the red scene seemed very annoying and frustrating! I have a lot of similar problems to this with unity and find it really frustrating. From the pictures you used in this blog post your game looks extremely well! i like all of the different buildings you are using! Cant wait to see the finished game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Robyn Jamie Mulhall,
    My dear your game is looking amazing, I love your houses they are so cute they suit your game and the mood its portraying really well. The red colour that took over I have no idea what could've caused that it might have just been a glitch but honestly fair play for working through it and not flinging your laptop out the as I would've done. The trees give off a scary vibe which is chilling I adore it. Keep up the great work my dear also if you want to put in some random people there is loads in the assets store, Cant wait to be spooked by your game :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Robyn, I can see the Tim Burton influences in your game, with the overall Gothic look. The fact that you created your own houses is quite mind blowing. Normally most people, if not like everyone, would use stuff from the unity asset store. But fair play to you. I like the two massive trees, they give the village some character.I wish I got the chance to play or even see your final game. But anyways, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete